Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Walter the Farting Dog


Surprising to me, and possibly to the readers of this blog was that Walter the Farting Dog, written by William Kotzwinkle and Glenn Murray, was the book that I found most offending out of all of the controversial books this week. It wasn't so much that I found the book offensive, I more so found it to be obnoxious. I didn't really understand why there is a book written about a dog that just farts all the time and has really gross illustrations to go along with this. As I write this, I am thinking that I may come across to some as a little conservative in terms of topics, but I'm more conservative in writing about bodily functions in children's lit. I believe that if it represents some sort of teaching value or lesson, then writing about this sort of thing would be okay, but I just think it's supposed to be funny. I didn't think it was funny. I also didn't really like the illustrations that were drawn in almost a realistic way. Overall, I can understand why children would like this book, I just didn't have a positive response to it. I probably won't go out and buy this book for my children but I also wouldn't banish it from my classroom either.

1 comment:

  1. I read this book as well, and there are some things I agree and disagree with you on. I also found this book very obnoxious. It was gross (especially the pictures). However, children seem to really enjoy the gross-out factor (at least some that I know). Although I was not a huge fan, I can see why others may really enjoy this book. I thought the dog's character was developed well (he truly was a good dog, aside from his "problem"). He loved his family, and he wanted to stay with them. I really liked this aspect of the plot. I agree with you about allowing this book in a classroom. It may not be my personal taste exactly, but I do see some positive elements. The aspects of the book I liked (the relationships, the dogs character, etc) may be overlooked by children reading it. Therefore, I would not be opposed to reading it to my future children or students. I think it is a little dramatic for individuals to think this book is extremely controversial. It has some obnoxious elements, but I don't think it should be banned in any situation.

    ReplyDelete