Monday, January 25, 2010

Once Was Lost


For my first novel for this class, I chose the book Once Was Lost written by Sara Zarr. It is a story about a girl who is trying to come to terms with her life as a daughter of a preacher and an alcoholic while at the same time reeling from the news of a missing girl from her town. After reading this book, I decided that it would be much too mature for anyone younger than 8th grade. The suggested reading age is for 12 year olds, but I think that the topic material is rather strong. Although I thought it was a little age inappropriate, I did think that it was a well written novel. The main character Sam is fighting for attention from her father while at the same time realizing who she is. When I was younger, I used to love reading books like this so I can see what it would be like when I would finally be a teenager. In this case, I wouldn't have looked forward to it as much. Sam is going through a large identity crisis while at the same time experience alcoholism and child abduction. Overall, a well written but rather heavy novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment